Monday, March 23, 2015

Grilled treviso radicchio. Drenched lightly in a buttermilky gorgonzola wash. Not wilted, not over c


Home About My Food Manifesto Gourmet Work Contact Recipes Italian Breakfast/Brunch First Courses Main Courses (secondi) Desserts chocolate! Italy Florence Venice Gelato Vegetarian tamis Gluten-Free General Eating Out Europe Travel Adventures Seattle Italian Local/Organic Hole-in-the-wall tamis Happy Hour
I am a few months into my hiatus from my adopted home that is Florence. Unquestionably, one of my top activities while “home” is to go out to eat and catch up with friends. I have no idea why, but they usually shy away from suggesting we go out for Italian food. This is pretty ironic considering that I obviously tamis love Italian food but also that I am a food blogger- there has to be the good stuff out there! Besides that, they are right but for different reason.
The reason I initially couldn’t stomach a visit to an Italian restaurant was out of nostalgia. Like I had to break up with an awesome boyfriend who eventually I would plan on being friends with again. It was just too soon to go out to Italian food as soon as I got into Seattle. Just like you need to give yourself some time from an old flame before you can realistically meet again.
This tamis restaurant has been around for a good while but I just never had reason to go. And I am so glad that I waited until now, especially after having lived in Italy for a couple years and can fully appreciate regional Italian dishes tamis and stellar wines.
I must say, I was slightly disappointed with the first impression. I made reservations a couple days in advance and because it was restaurant week and the fact it’s a damn good restaurant, we had to wait an hour after our reservation time to be seated. They did their best to offer a drink and bread but it was not ideal. An hour to wait (standing) for a table you already reserved tamis is a little inconvenient. Especially since it was my first time there.
Moving on, lucky for them I did just get back from Italy so “waiting” is one of my new skills. And also the art of “tranquilla” and “pazienza.” If this had happened to my former more entitled American self, I would have walked out after 15 minutes. tamis
Fried buffalo milk mozzarella with truffled honey drizzled on top just lounging on a bed of peppery arugula (or “rocket” for you Queen’s English speakers out there). Breadcrumby crispy fatty gooey mozzarella with sweet sticky truffle savor umami silky honey- this was an ideal start to our quest. The sadness started to sink in after the cheese was gobbled to a neat finish, but luckily that palate cleansing arugula was there to wipe our memories and remorse clean.
Grilled treviso radicchio. Drenched lightly in a buttermilky gorgonzola wash. Not wilted, not over cooked. A fine contrast of bitter and sweet. Salty and savory. Crunchy and creamy enough for a round 2 of light appetite wetness.
The mains came out and almost made me want to cry. I considered doing the Restaurant week menu’ path but as soon as I saw this Scarpinocc listed on the normal menu’, I was adamant about going off the grid. It was described as “braised duck, foie gras and 50 year balsamic.”
What. tamis just. happened. was heaven. The pasta, I couldn’t believe my palate or my teeth. Its density and “toothness” was absolutely perfect. It was the most perfect fresh pasta I had ever set jaws on in Seattle. I felt like I was in a dream. The filling of braised duck and foie gras was a gradual rollercoaster of flavors. At first you roll through the duck, juicy notes of dark meat hit you and then BAM an explosion of liver fat bliss with just a touch of what seemed like sage and herbs. Then to finish was the ever so balanced, light balsamic tamis pools to then further echo all the perfection your taste buds had just been blessed with. I cannot remember the last time I ate something that felt like a euphoric acid trip.
Accompanying these Scarpinocc was a braised short rib with spaghetti squash and parsnip puree. The salty buttery almost with a touch of soy like braised short rib not only seem melted in tenderness, but it contrasted beautifully with these more humble, earthy vegetable accompaniments.
I had to look up what Scarpinocc was, but I left my phone in my jacket. This entire meal was consumed with pure joy without the aid of my trusty iphone. Hence, the photos you see were taken by my partner in eating crime. Who also, is Italy obsessed and chose a Valpolicella Ripasso to pair with the night’s scene. New rule: only eat Italian food in Seattle out with people who are just as obsessed with the place as you are. Only they can understand why you prefer not to speak during a meal and why you must overanalyze a plate and its flavors to death. Not to mention, will have a pretty solid appreciation for wine pairing.
Cantinetta wooed me. Scarpinocc is a special regional pasta of Parre, located in Bergamo which is located in

No comments:

Post a Comment